Twenty-nine bets are vying for the Mutya ng Davao 2019 crown.
The candidates were presented to the media yesterday, the first public exposure, in a local hotel.
They got to answer controversial topics concerning society and politics during the press presentation.
Topics raised include the factors in considering the candidates in the mid-term elections. Candidate No. 14 Eula Napuli said future leaders need to have a heart to offer good service to the people not just an impressive educational attainment.
Candidate No. 16, Apryl Nicole Roque also shared her insights on women empowerment and violence against women that the city should immediately address. She also admitted to be a victim of such that lead her into depression and anxiety.
“Nowadays, rape is very rampant and we should be aware and we should not allow men to look down on us and we should speak out ourselves when we are experiencing something,” she said.
Political dynasty is also among the questions raised and Candidate No. 11 Lady Lou Tabudlong responded that the public must not choose base on names but on actions.
On other topic, Candidate No. 29, Charmaine Bless Shotwell also emphasized her strong opposition to lowering the age of criminal liability.
The former host of ABS-CBN’s kiddie show Okiddo said children under 13 are still growing and the one who should be responsible for their upbringing is the people around them.
Candidates also shared their ideas in promoting Davao as top destination in Mindanao and their different advocacies to purse once crowned as Mutya ng Davao.
This year’s Mutya ng Davao is also more interesting as it includes diverse of candidates, a homosexual candidate representing the LGBT community and a Muslim.
Event Director Dan Salvaña Jr. also said that unlike the previous years, only three candidates will be crowned this year and prizes are doubled.
The coronation night will be held this on March 2 at RMC Petro Gazz Arena.
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?