Authorities seized 320 reams of smuggled cigarettes Gudang Baru worth P112,000 in an anti-smuggling operation in Sarangani, Davao Occidental.
But the operatives from the Sarangani Municipal Police Station (MPS) and the Philippine Coast Guard failed to make any arrest.
According to the report from the Police Regional Office XI, the MPS received a tip from a concerned citizen that smuggled cigarettes will be transported ashore to Patua, Barangay Batuganding on Feb. 13.
The smugglers reportedly abandoned the cigarettes, apparently noticing the police operation.
Sr. Supt. Thor Valiente Cuyos, the provincial director of Davao Occidenta,l police said “retailers, distributors and importers involved in the sales of smuggled cigarettes will also be held liable for tax violations and subject to criminal prosecution pursuant to the law.”
In a statement, Regional Director Chief Supt. Marcelo Morales lauded the Sarangani MPS and reminded the public to purchase cigarette products only from legitimate sales personnel that carry the mandated tax stamps.
Investigators are still tracking the identity of the suspects.
By Jay-ar Ahon, JMC Intern
- Migs Dominguez is new Alsons Dev director
- This is it — #AngSignNaHanapMo to achieve your beauty goals
- JIB’s IChef Makes History as Mindanao’s First Halal-Certified Institution
- EGALITARIAN l Weak Peso to Our Advantage
- HONORING MY MOTHER l Cleaning as lifesaver (a Rewrite)
- ROUGH CUTS l Men are created equal?
- 2 cops nabbed for involvement in Gensan robbery; superiors relieved
- P2.448-M in shabu seized in Toril raid
- Residents urged vote for city in global contest
- Davaoeña is new head of TPB