Police are now tracking down three men who allegedly tortured, burned alive, and ate a stray dog in Barangay Matina Crossing on Thursday afternoon.
The video, taken by a concerned citizen, became viral on social media.
Police are establishing the identity of the three men who were said to be transient residents in Tahimik Avenue. The suspects are no longer seen at the area following the incident.
Marites Batacan, founder of Animal Rescue Rehabilitation and Fostering (ARRF), said they will charge the suspects for animal cruelty under Republic Act 8485, the Animal Welfare Act of 1998, which imposes penalties to violators.
Batacan said they have a strong case as the one who witnessed the cruelty is willing to testify in court.
According to the report from the Davao City Police office (DCPO), the concerned citizen who uploaded the video said she saw one of the suspects throwing a rock at the dog’s head, knocking him down. The suspect then dragged the dog to his place.
She later saw two more men in the lead suspect’s residence. She saw the suspects burned the dog alive while having a drinking spree.
The concerned citizen took a video footage of the suspects torturing the dog.
By John Flor, JMC Intern
- GUEST EDITORIAL | A tribute to Fr. Swamy
- PARADIGM SHIFT | A New Geopolitical Paradigm Between Iran and China
- ROUGH CUTS | We need to restrain our ‘horses’
- COVID vaccination hotlines to receive calls from seniors
- 5 NPA rebels surrender in SK
- 2 nabbed for illegal substances
- MEDICAL LEAVE | Mayor Duterte in Singapore
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 8, 2021
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 7, 2021
- NCCC offers more ways to shop online