Despite the election campaigns, there will be “no suspension of regular session,” the council majority floor leader said.
“Even on campaign period, we will have our session every Tuesday because that’s the law… no exemption,” Councilor J. Melchor Quitain Jr. said on Tuesday.
Councilor Diosdado Mahipus also assured that the regular session will reach its quorum even when everyone’s busy for the campaign period.
“Most of the incumbent councilors are running. I believe they will take advantage of the session days,” Mahipus said.
He jested that the campaign period is the “most opportune time” for the public “to ask for favors” from the councilors “because they cannot say no.”
Mahipus added that “this is the most harmonious moment among the city councilors because everybody supports each others advocacy and proposal.”
Under Republic Act 7160 or the Local Government Code, regular session will be held four times a month.
Members who are absent in four consecutive sessions will be suspended for not more than 60 days or be expelled.
“We have to convene from time to time. The presiding officer has the power to issue an arrest order of the councilors to be arrested by the sergeant at arms,” Mahipus said, adding that they did it before and “so it can happen again.”
The campaign period for local candidates, from governors down to municipal councilors, will kick off on March 29 to May 11, 2019.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos