The Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) wants to expand its jurisdiction over the Mindanao Railway Project (MRP) as it pushes the transfer of the implementing authority from the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to them.
“The MinDA is asking for the transfer of the (implementation) of the Mindanao Railway from the DOTr because we can do it,” said MinDA chairman Datu Abul Khayr Alonto.
Alonto also emphasized that with MinDA being the only national institute based in Mindanao, and having its manpower based also in the island, it will translate to a more accessible and efficient project implementation.
“We can implement and finish this railway system before the President takes his exit,” he said, adding that this could be done by implementing the project simultaneously rather than by phases.
The transfer of the implementation unit is eyed to be transferred because, according to Dr. Adrian Tamayo, MinDA public relations head, “it is really ironic to have it running in Mindanao yet the implementation part is handled by an agency outside Mindanao.”
Tamayo confirmed that they already sent a letter to the Office of the President last November, just after the MinDA board meeting.
“We are now awaiting the response of the Office of the President. The MinDA board already submitted a resolution to the President to transfer the railway project to MinDA because it is very difficult that you will facilitate but others will implement,” Tamayo said.
Tamayo, however, vowed that this will not change the timeline of the railway project. “At the moment, only the management part will be transferred but the technical part will still go on according to its design,” he said.
The MinDA is positive that it will be transferred soon since the “DOTr and MinDA are already partners because the administrative unit of the current initiative for the current TDD is MinDA.”
Alonto also said that aside from the MRP, it eyes to be the implementing unit of all other infrastructure projects for Mindanao.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market