Probers could not yet pinpoint the cause of the massive fire that killed three children and razed down 25 houses in an urban poor area in Mati City, Davao Oriental on late Friday night.
Supt. Marcial Mahistrado, the director of Davao Oriental Police Provincial Office (DOPPO), identified the fatalities as siblings Amily Pearl Halipa, 10; Alicia Denise, 8; and Krish Heris, 3.
Initial investigation showed that the fire started around 11:30 p.m. at the house of a certain Epifanio Culaba Jr. It spread out to other houses in the community of informal settlers in Del Pilar Street, Sto. Niño, Barangay Central, Mati.
The children were found lifeless at a creek.
The victims were able to go out from their house but they were trapped as the fire spread fast to the neighboring houses, Mahistrado said.
Around 4 a.m. Saturday, the city fire department declared a fire out.
He said 28 families were affected in the fire.
Twelve families are placed at the barangay covered court for their temporary shelter.
- DCWD office operations on August 19, 2022
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Inside Samsung’s Ultra Thin Glass Innovation
- RCHRMP president rallies for competency in the gov’t workforce
- Discover new things with your 1st e-wallet: GCash Jr.
- Malaysian companies bullish on PH
- Alsons Dev launches Poblacion Market Central, DC’s latest attraction where heritage meets hip
- EGALITARIAN | Culture of security and safety
- HONORING MY MOTHER | A new hobby for older men
- Bahay Pag-Asa marks 14 years