Probers could not yet pinpoint the cause of the massive fire that killed three children and razed down 25 houses in an urban poor area in Mati City, Davao Oriental on late Friday night.
Supt. Marcial Mahistrado, the director of Davao Oriental Police Provincial Office (DOPPO), identified the fatalities as siblings Amily Pearl Halipa, 10; Alicia Denise, 8; and Krish Heris, 3.
Initial investigation showed that the fire started around 11:30 p.m. at the house of a certain Epifanio Culaba Jr. It spread out to other houses in the community of informal settlers in Del Pilar Street, Sto. Niño, Barangay Central, Mati.
The children were found lifeless at a creek.
The victims were able to go out from their house but they were trapped as the fire spread fast to the neighboring houses, Mahistrado said.
Around 4 a.m. Saturday, the city fire department declared a fire out.
He said 28 families were affected in the fire.
Twelve families are placed at the barangay covered court for their temporary shelter.
- Overhauling the Philippine education system
- STATEMENT |
- DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS | Prime Minister SUGA Yoshihide and President Rodrigo Duterte on the occasion of the 65th Anniversary of Japan-Philippines Friendship
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- NEW FEATURE | Residents can choose vax schedule using DQR
- 19 undergo process to return to mainstream society
- Program to provide help to those affected by HPBS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES | JULY 29, 2021
- Mindanawan lass slays US air defense artillery course