The Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) lobbies for the creation of local halal councils throughout the country.
In a press conference Saturday, MinDA chair Datu Abul Khayr Alonto bared that the halal industry is becoming a trillion-worth industry.
“We facilitated the participation of Mindanao-based companies that resulted in USD6.7 million worth of booked and negotiated sales during the Halal Trade and Investment in Malaysia,” Alonto said.
Alonto said they are lobbying for the creation of local halal councils to maximize the benefits of the growing halal industry.
“Our target is to have a halal council in all LGUs because this is a growing industry and we have to benefit from that industry,” Dr. Adrian Tamayo, MinDA public relations head, explained.
Tamayo also noted that there’s already an expression coming from Middle East, Indonesia, and Malaysia for investments.
“If we can have that as a law, as an ordinance, we can accelerate creation and certification of restaurants and hotels,” he said.
Tamayo also addressed issues on halal industry being costly.
“Every investment is really costly especially in the start. But think of its benefit overtime. You would have tourists coming to your cuisine and hotels. Also, it is not exclusive for Muslim also,” Tamayo said.
With a halal industry being a global, Tamayo said that visitors coming to the country to enjoy halal products would not be difficult especially that finding recommendations is now easily done through the social media.
“I think we have to enjoy the benefits of this industry,” said Tamayo.
The MinDA notes that there are already cities in Mindanao that started creating its local halal council such as Davao City, through Executive Order 12, and Zamboanga City, through ordinance no. 489. Currently, Cagayan de Oro City is also about to establish its own halal council.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market