The 50-million deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) equipment at the Davao Regional Crime Laboratory Office (RCLO) was officially activated yesterday at its office on Candelaria Street, Barangay Bucana, Talomo District.
With the DNA equipment, police work will be expedited and evidences can be processed with greater accuracy and efficiency, said PNP Crime Laboratory Director Chief Supt. Rolando Hinanay.
The activation of the DNA equipment came more than a year after the new RCLO building was inaugurated January last year.
The DNA equipment will cater all the regions of Mindanao.
Previously, they have to send evidence to their national headquarters in Metro Manila for the DNA test.
While criminal cases are the top priority, Hinanay said they will also entertain request from private individuals.
He said the paternity test may cost about P20,000.
“In a day we can cater at least five cases,” Hinanay added.
He said the DNA laboratory has sampling and amplification room, extraction area, genetic analyzer and electropherogram.
Hinanay said the equipment have a 99.9 percent accurate result.
With the recent incidents in the country, he said the DNA examination is an effective tool in the identification the attackers.
In same countries, crimes are solved because of DNA analysis.
Angel Sumagaysay, the deputy chief of the Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) who represents Mayor Sara Duterte during yesterday’;s activity, said the availability of the DNA machine will help in the speedy delivery of justice.
A speedy and accurate DNA result “is a big help in the prosecution,” Sumagaysay said.
Aside from the P50-million DNA equipment, the 50-million RCLO building has a P269-million Automated Fingerprint Identification System and a P12-million forensic bullet comparison microscope.
The RCLO, Hinanay said, has competent forensic experts who underwent series of trainings locally and internationally.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market