Two alleged members of the New People’s Army’s liquidation squad were arrested by troops of the 71st Infantry Battalion and Compostela Valley Police Provincial Office at 10:15 a.m. on Monday.
They were identified as Kenneth Navarro and Roaid Reyes, both members of the Special Partisan Unit, who were arrested in a clash between government troops and the members of the Guerrilla Front 2, Sub-Regional Committee 2, Southern Mindanao Regional Command under Owek Navarro in Purok 6, Sitio Mapising, Brgy Tagnanan, Mabini, Compostela Valley.
The firefight lasted just under five minutes but the two alleged rebels were captured as a result. Soldiers also recovered one cal .45 pistol, one cal .38 revolver, hand grenade, magazine of cal .45, red time fuse, blasting cap with electrical wire, four live ammunition, six empty shells, and drug paraphernalia.
Upon further investigation, authorities found out that the two had records for illegal drug violations before they recruited by the NPA.
Also, Kenneth Navarro has a standing warrant for violation of Republic Act 7659, Art. No. 248 or murder.
Lt. Col. Esteveyn E. Ducusin, 71st Infantry Battalion commander, said the arrest of the two is another significant accomplishment of the soldiers.
“I commend the effort of my men and the PNP for the capture of two notorious Sparu members,” Ducusin said. “We slam the NPA for recruiting criminals in their ranks. But rest assured, we will never stop until we seize all other personalities who are violating the laws and destroying peace and order.”
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories