The Bureau of Jail and Penology Management (BJMP) XI yesterday dismissed reports that a riot erupted inside the Davao City jail in Barangay Ma-a during the conduct of the Oplan Greyhound operation last Saturday.
In an interview yesterday, Jail Chief Insp. Presco Manisan, the newly installed jail warden, said the report about inmates blocking the authorities from searching their cells was baseless. There were reports that the inmates hurled rocks at the operating team.
“There was none; we finished the greyhound around 5 p.m. on the same day,” he added.
The alleged incident was posted on Facebook at 5:59 a.m. on Saturday.
During the surprise inspection, the authorities found no illegal drugs inside the cells, but they confiscated cigarettes, cell phones, and improvised knives.
Insp. Edo Lobenia, the spokesperson of the Bureau of Jail and Management Penology (BJMP), said Oplan Greyhound was conducted in the main quarters of the city jail, including the female and annex buildings, starting at 7 a.m. on Saturday.
The Regional Mobile Force Battalion and Davao City Police Office aided the BJMP in the operation. The inspection was conducted days after police operatives busted three drug suspects who are said to be supplying drugs in Barangay Ma-a, including the city jail.
A similar inspection was also conducted at the Davao del Sur jail last Friday at 8 a.m.
Ordered by the Police Regional Office XI, the Davao del Sur Police Provincial Office, headed by its Director Sr. Supt. Alan Manibog, conducted the operation and they seized contraband items like pencils, ball pens, nail cutters, mirrors, lighters, and scissors.
Police regional director Chief Supt. Marcelo Morales said, “I just would like to reiterate this warning to all detainees that contraband found in their possession would be used against them in court. It will surely affect the availment of plea bargains or they will rot in jail.”
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success