An alleged carnapper was killed in a shootout with authorities along MacArthur Highway in Barangay Binugao, Toril District at 12:35 noon yesterday.
Sr. Insp. Maria Theresita Gaspan, the spokesperson of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO), said the fatality was identified through an identification card recovered in his possession as William Bucod Milana, 36, a resident of Crossing Highway, Town Site, Barangay Zone 2, Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur.
Around 12:30 noon yesterday, the driver of the vehicle, Eliezar Curaza, 52, engineer and a resident of Magugpo South, Tagum city, was eating lunch at an eatery along MacArthur Highway in Toril District, investigators said.
He left the car with the engine on. However, someone drove the car away, prompting him to call for police assistance.
Immediately after receiving the report, Toril Precinct Commander Chief Insp. Jerome de Guzman and his men conducted an operation to track down a dark gray Toyota Hi-lux bearing plate No. KDV-769.
They also alerted Major Reynaldo Geslaga, the commander of Task Force Davao’s Task Group Sirawan Base, and Sr. Insp. Mary Grace Martinez, the police chief of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur.
The responding Toril officers spotted the vehicle and gave chase as the suspect was speeding towards the direction of Sta. Cruz town.
Upon reaching the TFD base in Barangay Sirawan, the suspect allegedly fired toward the soldiers who flagged down the vehicle.
Police and soldiers joined forces in chasing the suspect until he was cornered in Central One, Binugao. The suspect reportedly shot the pursuing officers.
This prompted the operatives to return fire that resulted to the suspect’s death.
The Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) team, led by Chief Insp. Armando Galigo, recovered a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, with serial no. 068379 loaded with four live ammunition and two fired cartridges of .38 caliber.
The body of the suspect lies at the morgue of Villa Funeral Parlor in Toril.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission