Three members of the New People’s Army were killed in an encounter with soldiers of 29th Infantry Battalion in Sitio Patagon, Barangay Anticala, Butuan City at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27.
Meanwhile, the soldiers were able also to recover three high-powered firearms and one M203 grenade launcher after the encounter.
Maj. Ronald Putol, the civil-military operations officer of 402nd Infantry Brigade, said the troops were responding to the report from local residents regarding the presence of the rebels.
They encountered an undetermined number of NPAs, believed to be members of Guerrilla Front 21, Northeastern Mindanao Regional Command under Toto Anub alias Dongkoy/Makoy.
The firefight lasted for about 10 minutes before the rebels escaped leaving behind their three dead comrades and the rifles. The bodies were turned over to the barangay officials for identification.
Lt. Col. Warren Munda, the 29th IB commander, extended his condolences to the families of the slain rebels.
“It is disheartening that NPA terrorists will just leave their dead comrades behind,” he said.
Brig. Gen. Franco Nemesio Gacal, the commander of the 402nd Infantry Brigade, thanked residents for their support.
“This is a clear indication that the people are already fed up with the NPAs’ decades-long banditry and extortion,” he added.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market