the Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) recorded 24 New People’s Army fighters and 14 members of the Militiang Bayan who surrendered to the different units and local government units since the start of the month.
Lt. Col. Ezra Balagtey, the EastMinCom spokesperson, alias Mylen, 27, a member of the Mansaka Tribe and Platoon Medic of NPA in the boundary of Compostela and Davao Oriental; together with three other rebels identified as alias Loloy, 19; alias Res, 18; and alias Cindy 16, surrendered to 67th Infantry Battalion in Sitio Maylaya, Malibago, Cateel, Davao Oriental.
In a separate incident, alias Jamaica, 27, head of the NPA medical unit in Bukidnon, surrendered to the 8th Infantry Battalion on Jan. 21, 2019 in Barangay Poblacion, Impasug-ong, Bukidnon, bringing along with her one Cal. 30 M1 Carbine.
Meanwhile, on Jan. 24, two NPAs identified as alias Freck, a former supply officer in Maco, and alias Fino, surrendered without firearms to the 71st IB at its headquarters in Purok 8, Barangay Nueva Visayas, Mawab, Compostela Valley.
Further, alias Pasyo, a Communist guerrilla in Cateel, surrendered on Jan. 25 to the 67th Infantry Battalion, bringing along with him with one M16A1 rifle.
Maj. Gen. Filemon Santos Jr., commander of EastMinCom, said, “The surrenders… will surely create an impact on the peace and security situation in the region as it will contribute to the collapse of the (NPA).”
Santos is also optimistic that more rebels will surrender because of the government’s whole-of-nation approach in addressing rebellion and terrorism. The approach entails localized programs that directly address the source of conflict.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market