the Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) recorded 24 New People’s Army fighters and 14 members of the Militiang Bayan who surrendered to the different units and local government units since the start of the month.
Lt. Col. Ezra Balagtey, the EastMinCom spokesperson, alias Mylen, 27, a member of the Mansaka Tribe and Platoon Medic of NPA in the boundary of Compostela and Davao Oriental; together with three other rebels identified as alias Loloy, 19; alias Res, 18; and alias Cindy 16, surrendered to 67th Infantry Battalion in Sitio Maylaya, Malibago, Cateel, Davao Oriental.
In a separate incident, alias Jamaica, 27, head of the NPA medical unit in Bukidnon, surrendered to the 8th Infantry Battalion on Jan. 21, 2019 in Barangay Poblacion, Impasug-ong, Bukidnon, bringing along with her one Cal. 30 M1 Carbine.
Meanwhile, on Jan. 24, two NPAs identified as alias Freck, a former supply officer in Maco, and alias Fino, surrendered without firearms to the 71st IB at its headquarters in Purok 8, Barangay Nueva Visayas, Mawab, Compostela Valley.
Further, alias Pasyo, a Communist guerrilla in Cateel, surrendered on Jan. 25 to the 67th Infantry Battalion, bringing along with him with one M16A1 rifle.
Maj. Gen. Filemon Santos Jr., commander of EastMinCom, said, “The surrenders… will surely create an impact on the peace and security situation in the region as it will contribute to the collapse of the (NPA).”
Santos is also optimistic that more rebels will surrender because of the government’s whole-of-nation approach in addressing rebellion and terrorism. The approach entails localized programs that directly address the source of conflict.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WRITING DETOURS | Confessions of a Fortnite virgin
- ROUGH CUTS | Were they neophyte traffic law enforcers?
- DUBIOUS DISTINCTION | Davao City supplants QC on daily COVID cases: researcher
- 858 affected workers apply for government financial aid
- PSC says yes to Tokyo Olympics budget from POC
- Go Negosyo, PCCI, OCTA Research join hands to push population protection
- DOLE-Davao hosts virtual job fair
- NPA rebel killed in Misamis clash
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Shot again