The Director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency XI assured that there are no high-profile narco-politicians in their list in the Davao Region.
PDEA Regional Director Antonio Rivera, however, said that they identified two barangay captains and three barangay councilors as possible users, dealers, or protectors of drugs in the region.
However, he declined to name the suspects because they are continuing with their case buildup. The names have been submitted to the Department of Local and Interior Government for evaluation and appropriate action.
Rivera said they also strengthened the implementation of the Dangerous Drugs Board Regulation No. 3 Series of 2017 known as “Strengthening the Implementation of Barangay Drug Clearing Program.”
The regulation outlines and strengthens the role of the Barangay Anti-Drug Abuse Council (BADAC).
To ensure consistency of the effective implementation, the Badac members will continue monitoring and evaluating suspected drug users and dealers, including those who already surrendered in their area. The names on the list will also be submitted to the police and the PDEA for the Tokhang.
Rivera encouraged drug users to enroll in the Balay Silangan in Davao City where they can develop skills for alternative livelihood “so that they will shy away from pushing drugs.”
Although the barangays are mandated to form their own BADACs to lead the fight against illegal drugs in the grassroots level, the DILG Memorandum Circular signed by former secretary Mar Roxas on June 16, 2015, was not followed.
In fact, in February this year, only seven in 10 barangays in the country have their own active BADACs. That figure was actually an improvement from the 50% compliance rate at the end of 2016.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon