A former bodyguard of a barangay captain who was the suspect in the 2016 grenade-lobbing incident on a rival in Calinan District was arrested inside his house in Barangay Lamanan on Monday night.
Chief Insp. Archimedes Wesley, the commander of Calinan police, told TIMES that Jose Agwanta, 42, driver and resident of Sitio Polocon, Barangay Lamanan was arrested by his personnel around 10:30 p.m. on Monday.
They were assisted by soldiers of the 16th Infantry Battalion as they served the warrant of arrest issued by Judge Melinda Alconcel-Dayanghirang of Branch 54 Regional Trial Court XI for the crime of multiple attempted murder with Case No. R-DVO-17-00231-CR.
Agwanta was the primary suspect in throwing a grenade on Barangay Captain Nicanor Pepito in front of Gaisano Mall in Calinan last July 28, 2016.
Five individuals sustained multiple wounds from the blast.
“According to the initial report, it was politically motivated,” Wesley said. “Because our suspect was the bodyguard of the former killed barangay captain in the area.”
Agwanta is momentarily held in the Calinan Police Precinct to face the charge filed against him.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon