A former bodyguard of a barangay captain who was the suspect in the 2016 grenade-lobbing incident on a rival in Calinan District was arrested inside his house in Barangay Lamanan on Monday night.
Chief Insp. Archimedes Wesley, the commander of Calinan police, told TIMES that Jose Agwanta, 42, driver and resident of Sitio Polocon, Barangay Lamanan was arrested by his personnel around 10:30 p.m. on Monday.
They were assisted by soldiers of the 16th Infantry Battalion as they served the warrant of arrest issued by Judge Melinda Alconcel-Dayanghirang of Branch 54 Regional Trial Court XI for the crime of multiple attempted murder with Case No. R-DVO-17-00231-CR.
Agwanta was the primary suspect in throwing a grenade on Barangay Captain Nicanor Pepito in front of Gaisano Mall in Calinan last July 28, 2016.
Five individuals sustained multiple wounds from the blast.
“According to the initial report, it was politically motivated,” Wesley said. “Because our suspect was the bodyguard of the former killed barangay captain in the area.”
Agwanta is momentarily held in the Calinan Police Precinct to face the charge filed against him.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories