A former bodyguard of a barangay captain who was the suspect in the 2016 grenade-lobbing incident on a rival in Calinan District was arrested inside his house in Barangay Lamanan on Monday night.
Chief Insp. Archimedes Wesley, the commander of Calinan police, told TIMES that Jose Agwanta, 42, driver and resident of Sitio Polocon, Barangay Lamanan was arrested by his personnel around 10:30 p.m. on Monday.
They were assisted by soldiers of the 16th Infantry Battalion as they served the warrant of arrest issued by Judge Melinda Alconcel-Dayanghirang of Branch 54 Regional Trial Court XI for the crime of multiple attempted murder with Case No. R-DVO-17-00231-CR.
Agwanta was the primary suspect in throwing a grenade on Barangay Captain Nicanor Pepito in front of Gaisano Mall in Calinan last July 28, 2016.
Five individuals sustained multiple wounds from the blast.
“According to the initial report, it was politically motivated,” Wesley said. “Because our suspect was the bodyguard of the former killed barangay captain in the area.”
Agwanta is momentarily held in the Calinan Police Precinct to face the charge filed against him.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos