A commander and political instructor of the New People’s Army (NPA) surrendered to the soldiers of the 66th Infantry Battalion in Purok 8, Barangay Gabi, Compostela town, Compostela Valley on Saturday.
Capt. Rodel Bacani, the civil-military operations (CMO) officer of 66th IB, said that troops were closing in on the purok (hamlet) when a group of armed men scampered to escape. However, in their haste, they left behind a political instructor who was a resident of the area.
Bacani identified him as Fernando D. Lobiano alias Jay/Jaya. He was also the designated commanding officer of the newly organized Expedition Platoon of Section Committee 15 of the Sub-Regional Committee 1, Southern Mindanao Regional Committee.
“He was visiting his family when troops were able to monitor their presence with the help of the former mass organization members,” he said.
Accordingly, when he sensed that he was about to be caught, he surrendered to the troops and asked that he will be brought to the Governor Jayvee Tyron Uy of Compostela Valley.
His request was granted, the governor accepted his surrender and he was turned over to Lt. Col. Palmer Parungao, the 66th IB commander.
Accordingly, Lobiano had been with the NPA since 1995 and he surrendered at the age of 42. He also helped reveal the location where the abducted soldier of SeCom 15 was held. Cpl. Johannes Parreno who escaped on Aug. 17.
Being one of the longest-serving members of the former Guerrilla Front 15, now a Secom, he was tasked to command an outfit that has to create a diversion while the main group exerts effort to recover their lost mass bases.
Parungao said, “The influx of surrenders of NPA rebels will continue, those who do not surrender will have a bad end.”
“Alias Jaya’s surrender has brought great demoralization in their ranks,” Parungao added.
Maj. Gen. Noel Clement, the commander of 10th Infantry Division, said surrender is the best option for the NPA rebels. “We have to finish the business as soon as possible to continuously and strongly protect the peace,” he said.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission