The newly installed Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) regional director said the agency needs the assistance of the private sector to address the gap on skilled construction workers shortage amid the boom on the infrastructure industry.
“TESDA cannot do this single-handedly. We need the help and assistance of our partners especially of the private sectors,” said TESDA regional director Engr. Lorenzo Macapili during the Kapehan sa Dabaw press conference yesterday.
Asking training institutions to adopt the Out-of-the-box-training modalities, Macapili urged the institutions to make agreement with large private business entities in providing facilities and equipment.
He added that the top demand courses in TESDA Region 11 are connected to the construction sector.
“Currently, we have the Build, Build, Build program of the present administration. If we relate this to TESDA, we also have the Train, Train, Train program which is a skills training aimed to assist the Build, Build, Build program,” said Macapili.
Specifically, the skills needed for the construction industry are carpentry, masonry, tiles setting, heavy equipment operating, electrical installation maintenance, and shielded metal arc welding, among others.
“Even the construction companies and contractors can hardly find a good number of highly trained construction workers,” said Macapili.
He emphasized the need for skilled workers not just construction workers without formal training or those who just acquired handed down information.
The TESDA Regional Director invites the public for the World Café of Opportunities on Aug. 25, which is among the highlight events of the 24th TESDA anniversary.
The event aims to gather TVET graduates to provide them the right information on the available jobs in the market whether local or abroad.
This event is aligned with Republic Act 10970, signed by President Rodrigo Duterte last February, declaring every August 25 as the National TechVoc Day.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021