A former liquidation squad leader of the New People’s Army (NPA) surrendered to the 66th Infantry Battalion on Friday, authorities said yesterday.
Lt. Col. Palmer Parungao, the 66IB commander, did not name the surrenderer but said the former rebel was the SPARU (Special Partisan Unit) leader of the now dismantled Guerilla Front 27 of the communist armed group.
Sensing that the military was also just a step behind him, the former squad leader coordinated with his former subordinates who earlier returned to the folds of law to arrange for his surrender.
Parungao said the group of the rebel leader encountered operatives of the 66th IB in Maragusan, Compostela Valley on a number of occasions in the past years.
The surrenderer also revealed a cache of improvised explosive devices hidden in the forested area of Barangay Camanlangan, New Bataan, Compostela Valley.
Government troopers immediately traced and seized the war materials, which were intended for Guerilla Front 2 in Sitio Bantuayan, Camanlangan last March.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market