The Dula sa Kadayawan on Friday at the People’s Park centers on the representation of the events to the life and culture of the City’s 11 tribes.
Renato “Gatchi” Gatchalian, Kadayawan Festival Director cited the ‘bubuntug’ game where a ball is targeted by the players saying, “The hunting is represented by a ball in lieu of the wild boar.”
“The Dula Kadayawan is incorporated as an official event because this is one way of really understanding the culture through the games because each sport played by the tribe members represents something,” Gatchalian added.
City Tourism and Operations Office (CTOO) chief Generose Tecson also explained that the Tribal Sports is “for the Davaoeños to see what is in their culture, for the tribes themselves so that the youth will see the cultures and for camaraderie as well amongst the tribes.”
Prior to the event proper, a tribal parade occurred. The event was graced by Gatchi Gatchalian and City Administrator Atty. Zuleika Lopez. Senator Pia Cayetano was also cited in the event.
The lumad games joined by five tribes (Matigsalog, Tagabawa, Ovu-Manuvu, Klata, and Ata) include siklot, sisibow, solopot, pana, bubuntug, kakasing, usuroy, sosakoro, totaringki, karang, and bibinayo.
Meanwhile, three games, including Sipa sa Lama, Sipa sa Manggis and Kanggaratoya (tug of war), was played by six Moro tribes (Kagan, Sama, Iranun, Tausug, Maguindanao, and Maranao).
The Moro games were scheduled in the afternoon to pave way for the prayers of the Muslim.
Gatchalian also expressed that the tribes are essential to expose the Davaoeños, especially the younger generations.
“We Davaoeños, are not exposed with these (tribal games). We only know of Olympics. What is good with this event is that we know that (tribal games) exists,” said Gatchalian.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories