The Davao Food Terminal Complex (DFTC) is expected to be opened on October 3, a representative of the Vegetable Industry Council of Southern Mindanao (VicsMin) said Wednesday.
Although both the city government and the regional office of the Department of Agriculture (DA) have yet to confirm the schedule, Marites Alaba of VicsMin said during the Wednesdays @ Habi at Kape – Abreeza that the dry run for the operations of the food terminal would be on September 18.
Built with a budget of P70 million, the facility was a collaboration between the city government and the national government through the DA.
This developed as the council is among those organizing the 17th National Vegetable Congress on August 22-24 at the Davao Convention and Trade Center which will showcase farm machineries and spell out the status of the vegetable industry in the country.
Alaba said about 500 participants are expected to join the event which will have Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol and Senator Cynthia Villar as main guests of honor.
Among the side events, she added, are farm tours to some farms in the city.
Alaba said the facility’s opening was first scheduled this month, but because of the Kadayawan Festival, it was postponed.
Under the mechanism, she said, farm producers will bring their produce to the facility where they will be paid, eliminating the so-called middle persons in the process.
Among the proposal, said Alaba, is “to provide transportation to the producers to reduce their costs,” although nothing has been finalized yet.
- AboitizPower celebrates Women’s Month
- P31-million in fire damage recorded in Q1 2023
- Safe travels
- Dry spell looms
- No rest for weary as Davao City gears up for Holy Week
- 10th ID chief thanks security cluster for orderly Ironman
- ROUGH CUTS| Two new influential neighbors
- Bukidnon Ranch Shifts Away from Traditional Cattle Breeding through Bionova’s Biotech
- Davao City assesses safety measures after Ironman triathlete’s passing
- PRO XI to look into lapses after Ironman athlete crashes into boy