The Philippines has cornered some key international markets for its gift, decors, and houseware products because of their quality even when they continue to face stiff competition from countries like China which offer cheaper ones.
“In the Philippines, we are very strong in terms of design and quality,” said Dra. Rosevic del Rosario-Cembrano, Mindanao Trade Expo Foundation president, during the weekly Wednesdays @ Habi at Kape-Abreeza yesterday.
The improved status of local products, she added, is partially because of the support coming from government.
“Before, there was a very minimal interaction between the government and the private sector; but now, we are actively collaborating with government especially with DTI (Department of Trade and Industry,” said del Rosario-Cembrano.
The foundation is set to hold its trade exposition between August 11 and 17 at the Abreeza as del Rosario-Cembrano said her group expects a sale of about P20 million, a P1 million higher than what was achieved a year ago.
But more than the sales volume, she said micro-small-medium enterprises (MSMEs) will be able to showcase their products to prospective buyers as about 150 exhibitors are set to join.
Among the products that are expected to take center stage are those coming from a community in Davao Occidental where a “nito” has been developed into creative pieces like placemats. The community just wove ordinary placemats and sold them at P35 a piece, but the foundation has provided assistance to make these products better in quality and can now be sold at P1,500 each.
Del Rosario-Cembrano said the organization used to push its members to directly export their products, but they eventually realized that this was very difficult. At present, MSMEs have partnered with big exporters so their products can penetrate the bigger markets. “In that case, the big exporters can do the marketing and the communities will be the suppliers of the products,” she said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1