At least 45 families were rendered homeless in a fire that destroyed 31 houses in a populated urban poor community in Bucana, Barangay 76-A yesterday morning.
Senior Fire Officer 2 Ramil Gillado, the chief investigator of the Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) XI, said the fire started in the two-story house of Merna Genovia in Purok 10, Bucana at 9:15 a.m. yesterday.
The fire reportedly originated at the second floor, particularly at the dirty kitchen.
Gillado said they are looking into the possibility that unattended cooking could have started the fire.
Prior to the fire, someone was cooking at the kitchen using firewood, initial investigation revealed.
The fire immediately escalated to the neighborhood, affecting 31 houses that were made of light materials.
Gillado said 24 houses were totally damaged and seven were partially destroyed.
The fire was placed under control by 9:52 a.m. and was declared fire out an hour later.
Initial cost of damage was placed at P700,000, the BFP reported.
Gillado said there was no reported casualty during the fire incident.
Barangay Chair Rolando Trajera admitted that vehicles parked at the narrow barangay road delayed the responding firemen.
Fire victims are temporarily sheltered at the barangay covered court.
The Bucana fire was the second to hit the city in a 24-hour period.
On Sunday morning, a house was also damaged by fire in Zone 4, San Vicente, Barangay Buhangin Proper, Buhangin District.
Report from the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) revealed that the fire started at the altar of the house of Andres Lafuentes, 82 years old, at 11:45 a.m.
Buhangin firefighters, led by Fire Officer 3 John Celeste, immediately responded to the fire scene.
They declared a fire out 15 minutes later.
No casualty or injury was reported.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JULY 22, 2021
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FASTLANES | Umang – the hermit crab
- BECOMING A DABAWENYO | Concerns about bicycle lanes
- FROM THE MAIL | Curbing Insurgency, a Duterte Legacy
- ROUGH CUTS | Signs of running scared?
- HIGH-VALUE TARGET | CTTMO worker caught in anti-drug entrapment
- 54-71-KM Davao bike lane network virtually launched
- Service disruptions on July 24 in different areas of Davao City
- RP bets in Olympic Village