Mayor Sara Duterte clarifies that Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) is just a regional party in Davao and is not yet to accept member-politicians from other regions.
“We did not foresee this growing interest of other politicians from other regions. It will be a difficult decision to go national and I am not ready to decide on it right now,” Duterte said.
The mayor, in a statement to the media, said the creation of HNP was just meant to create a stronger Davao Region and going national is a decision yet to be made.
She, however, mentioned that they are up for alliances among other parties in other regions.
“We are set to create alliances with other groups to help each other,” the mayor said.
She furthered clarified that there are no talks among national parties yet, only local regions.
The HNP created a buzz among politicians all over the country when then Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez alleged that Mayor Duterte, the first daughter of President Rodrigo Duterte, is an opposition for creating another political party that would eventually rival the ruling Partido ng Demokratikong-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
Alvarez was recently ousted from his post, and Sara was tagged to have a direct influence in the change of leadership at the Lower House.
Ahead of the 2019 midterm elections, the HNP party is joined by other politicians in Davao Region including Davao del Norte Gov. Anthony Del Rosario, Davao Oriental Gov. Nelson Dayanghirang, Davao Occidental Gov. Claude Bautista, and Compostela Valley Gov. Jayvee Tyron Uy.
Among the Davao provinces, only Davao del Sur Gov. Douglas Cagas did not get himself affiliated in the regional party.
- Responder drowns
- HONORING MY MOTHER: Going your own way
- ROUGH CUTS| What’s behind Mayor Baste’s silence?
- Davao ICon 2023 showcases the region’s finest
- BJMP XI offers free rides every Thursdays this month
- FORTY-SOMETHING FIRST-TIME MOM | Confessions of an angry mama
- EGALITARIAN: Nano industry and spectrum of industries
- Globe Group shares story of purpose-led transformation in UN’s Vision 2045 documentary series
- Davao Light energizes four sitios in Davao del Norte
- Full confidence