Village watchmen in the city are revitalized and will be integrated into the police/military/auxiliary patrol system.
On Thursday, a total of 3,640 barangay tanods from the city’s 182 barangays attended the launching of the Enhanced Oplan Fortress through Barangay Ronda Patrol System held at Almendras Gym.
Sr. Insp Maria Theresita Gaspan, DCPO spokesperson, said the Barangay Ronda Patrol System is basically an integration of all the barangay tanods to the existing police/military/auxiliary patrol system.
The main objective of the revitalization, Gaspan said, is for the barangay tanods to assist the police in the intensified police operations against robbery, theft and other petty crimes prevalent in the barangays.
As additional extension of law enforcement and the initial contact of the residents in the barangay, the tanods can also conduct intelligence monitoring aside from acting as visible security, by way of Ronda Patrol activity, in their respective community.
Presently, there are 20 village watchmen in each barangay, receiving allowance from the city government under the supervision of the barangay chairman.
With the evolving significance of the Barangay Ronda Patrol System, Gaspan said a huge number of members — around 3,640 – will be added to the present police/military/auxiliary patrol system.
The city’s current patrol system has a total strength of 5,394 (1,895 DCPO officers, 644 TFD agents, and 1,310 police auxiliary and 1,500 from other security forces).
This, Gaspan said, will increase the strength of the upgraded enhanced patrol system to 8,989.
“DCPO is of fervent judgment that their presence would geared to a more effective deterrence against social deviants in every community,” she added.
Gaspan said the renewal of tanod membership will be undertaken after their basic law enforcement training and deployment.
With the support of Mayor Sara Duterte who graced the launching on Thursday, the patrol system is pushed by Davao City Police Office (DCPO) director Sr. Supt Alexander Tagum, Task Force Davao commander Col.
Nolasco Mempin, and Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) chief Benito de Leon.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021