The Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) XI recorded more than 200 more fire incidents from January to July this year, as compared to the same period last year.
Speaking in yesterday’s AFP-PNP press briefing held at Royal Mandaya Hotel, Senior Fire Officer 2 Ramil Gillado, the chief Investigation officer of the BFP XI, said 608 fire incidents happened on this period.
Buhangin district recorded five incidents with three fatalities.
This month, there are already 44 cases, Gillado said.
The top three causes of fire are electrical short circuit (arcing or loss connection and overheated electrical appliances), open flame (unattended cooking, candle and Gasera), and lighted cigarette butts.
An electric arc, or arc discharge, is defined as an electrical breakdown of a gas that produces an ongoing electrical discharge.
The top three structures burned were Residential, 277 for this year and 199 last year; Business, 55 for 2018 and 20 for 2017; and Industrial, 34 for 2018 and 27 for 2017.
Gillado cautioned that a leaking LPG is hazardous as it could spark when someone switches on the light or plugs an electrical cord, similar to what happened in the Buhangin fire incident.
There were three fire incidents that were caused by leaking LPGs.
“The LPG is odorless, so if we can detect any smell on it never attempt to switch the lights or light candles or matches,” he said. The regulator of the LPG should be removed and the tank placed outside the house for safety.
An added safety precaution is to open the windows of the house to release the fumes.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories