A 60-year-old woman was injured after a galvanized metal roof was blown away by a waterspout in Barangay Lapu-Lapu, Agdao District around 8:45 p.m. on Sunday.
In a report given by Chief Insp. Milgrace Driz, the spokesperson of Police Regional Office (PRO) XI, the victim was identified as Billy Erno.
Accordingly, the waterspout started from from the beach and quickly moved toward the houses in Purok 8 of the barangay. More or less 300 residents were evacuated to the Barangay gym.
Erno was rushed to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) for medical treatment.
The residents were advised by the Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction Management Center (BDRRMC) to return to their houses after the danger has passed.
In a separate interview, Lyndon Ancajas, the training and admin officer of City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Center (CDRRMC), said they immediately sent teams to assist the residents and assess the situation.
“That is why around midnight they (residents) were asked to return to their homes,” Ancajas said. “There are many areas that have evacuated but the directly affected are around 300 to 400 individuals in Barangay Lapu-Lapu,” Ancajas said.
Some roofs and walls were also blown away by the waterspout. Trees were uprooted, while a small cottage used for dining was hit by a fallen tree. Reportedly, one electrical post also collapsed, leaving a number of households with no electricity for several hours.
Purok 8 of the said barangay was largely affected area as it was the water tornado’s path.
Purok leader Ferdinand Maligdem said they also recorded other damage including boats anchored on the shore and chicken coops.
- Duterte limits use of face shields to ‘closed, crowded’ areas
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- World Vision launches this year’s #GirlsCan movement to empower and support Filipino girls
- ALS Unit formed
- ROUGH CUTS | Longing for sustainable change?
- OFFICIAL | Digital vax certificates needed vs bogus cards
- Quiboloy threatens to run for president if…
- SEC launches 1-day online firm registration
- Davao Light acquires Safety Seal Certification
- Celebrate chocolate with SM Snack Exchange