An alleged drug runner was arrested for transporting illegal drugs worth close to P500,000 in a checkpoint in Barangay Sirawan, Toril District on Thursday evening.
Col. Nolasco Mempin, commander of Task Force Davao, identified the suspect as Ameer Bakang Mentang, a native of Sultan Kudarat.
Seized from Mentang were nine sachets of illegal drugs, weighing 34 grams with an estimated street value of P476,000.
Mentang was a riding in passenger van coming from Sultan Kudarat.
When the van arrived at the TFD detachment in Sirawan around 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, the vehicle and the passengers were subjected to inspection.
Mempin said the illegal drugs were found at a pouch inside the bag carried by the suspect.
In an interview with the reporters at the detachment, the suspect denied owning or selling the illegal drugs.
Saying he was only a runner, Mentang said he was only asked to bring the bag as someone would fetch him to get it.
Based on the information from suspect’s cellular phone,
Mempin said the illegal drug was to be brought to a contact in Agdao.
As drug running offers easy money, Mempin said some individuals accept the job.
Mentang is the third drug suspect to be arrested in a TFD checkpoint since Monday.
The suspect, already turned over to the Toril Police Precinct, will be facing charges for violating the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission