The Commission on Populations (Popcom) will be working with the Department of Education (DepEd) to strengthen the establishment of teen centers in schools.
Since adolescents spend most of their time in schools, the commission aims to increase its partnership with academic institutions on topics about sexuality. Part of the MOA gives task to guidance counselors of schools to handle teen centers.
Among its provisions also include the selection of teachers who are open with sexuality discussions. Chosen teachers will undergo capacity building for them to effectively increase awareness among their students with sensitive issues like reproductive health, early pregnancy, and others.
Guidance counselors and school nurses will also be trained on the dissemination of contraceptives like condoms among students.
DepEd is also mandated to develop materials especially on age and developmental appropriate modules.
Currently, eight teen centers among different high schools across Davao City are piloted. This is just a few of the more than 180 centers throughout the region. Popcom, DepEd, and other agencies involved with this project are hopeful that the academic institutions will be a welcome arena for students to discuss about sexuality.
Despite the establishment of Reproductive Health Law which established different programs and activities to promote reproductive health, there is still a dearth with the access to health services provided by the government.
The Philippine culture, being a largely Christian country, has equated sexual activities as unpleasant. This leads to a mindset hindering responsible adulthood.
The celebration of the World Population Day on July 11, 2018 will center on the theme “Family Planning is a Human Right”.
Topics to be highlighted include family planning, reproductive health, gender equality, poverty, maternal and child health, and human rights.
As an international celebration, the POPCOM-11 together with its partnering agencies has prepared various events to highlight the promotion of family planning as a human right.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021