Health agencies are alarmed with the rise in teenage pregnancy in the region.
Dr. Raquel Montejo, DOH-XI Family Cluster Head, cited that the Davao Region has the highest number of teenage pregnancy in the country.
In the 2016 survey among adolescents age 10 to 19, the region had 15,357 or 16% adolescent birth rate with the province of Davao Del Sur coming on top.
In 2017, this increased further to 16,279, still 16% with Davao Occidental, as the first among the provinces in the region.
Jeff Fuentes, City Population Chief, pointed out that one of the contributing factors to these numbers is the society’s notion on sexuality issues as a taboo.
Fuentes further reiterated that the Philippine culture which does not absolutely accepts reproductive health leads to non-access of adolescents to services provided by the health department.
Early Sexual Activities (ESA) increases risks of men and women with STDs and HIVs. However, there is still a notably low numbers of Filipinos, including adolescents, who does regular consultation because with fear of judgement from the society.
While the region has increasing numbers with teenage pregnancy, maternal morbidity rate has dropped. However, DOH-11 still urges pregnant teenagers to have prenatal visits to continue the drop of numbers.
POPCOM encourages parents to properly deal with their children to avoid teenage pregnancy.
concerned with family planning such as Commission on Populations (POPCOM), Department of Health-11 and Davao City Health Office is alarmed with the boom of teenage pregnancy in the region.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories