A newly elected barangay official was killed by alleged members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Barangay Mahaba, Cabadbaran City, Agusan del Norte around 12:45 a. m. on Wednesday.
Capt. Al Anthony B. Pueblas, spokesperson of the 402nd Infantry Brigade, identified the victim as Edgar Rosal Panisan, 40.
Pueblas said Panisan was shot to death by members of the Guerrilla Front 21C of North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NEMRC).
Accordingly, Panisan was the first councilor of Barangay Mahaba and also an active member of the Cafgu.
“While serving his constituents during their barangay fiesta celebration, the victim was shot by the NPA hitting his left chest which caused his instantaneous death,” Pueblas said.
A witness reportedly identified the gunman as a full-time NPA member of GF 21C.
It can be recalled that on April 18, 2018, a pastor named Jepti Acido was killed by the NPA in Barangay Lahi, Gigaquit, Surigao del Norte.
In his statement, Lt. Col. Gleen Joy Aynera, commander of 29th Infantry Battalion, vowed that justice will be served for the killing of Panisan.
“Being the no. 1 in the latest barangay council election is a manifestation that indeed kagawad Panisa was loved by the people,” he said.
Meanwhile, Brig. Gen. Franco Nemesio M. Gacal, commander of the 402nd Infantry Brigade, said the murder of Panisan was also an assault on the right of suffrage of the community.
“The victim was a duly elected official and was serving well his constituents,” he said. “The NPA should stop this senseless killing and adhere to the provisions of the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law.”
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success