Northern Mindanao ranked third in producing swine and chicken in the country in the first three months of the year, data from Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) revealed.
Region X was able to produce 40,389 metric tons of chicken and 48,325 metric tons of swine in the first quarter, increasing from 39,939 metric tons and 45,495 metric tons, respectively, in the same period last year.
Central Luzon was the frontrunner in producing chickens and hogs at a combined volume of 271,721 metric tons while Calabarzon placed second in both agricultural produce with combined volume of 167,074 metric tons.
The top three chicken producers cornered 63.70% of the country’s total production of 439,956 metric tons. On swine, they contributed 43% of the total production of 558,726 metric tons.
Throughout the country, the total chicken inventory was 184.34 million birds, which increased by about two percent from the first quarter last year. This included layer, native, and broiler chickens.
“The average farmgate price of broiler meat from January to March posted a positive growth of 5.68%, or about P87.54 per kilogram, liveweight compared to its previous year’s average price of P 82.83 per kilogram, liveweight,” PSA said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the total swine population increased by 1.92% compared with the previous year’s inventory of 12.51 million heads. This included hogs from backyard farms and commercial farms.
“The first quarter average farmgate price of live hogs increased by 14.03%, or from the P99.59 per kilogram, liveweight in 2017, to P113.56 per kilogram, liveweight this year,” PSA said. (KMF)
- Composite teams named for COVID vaccination program
- Marawi, Lanao Sur MSMEs to benefit from Plant Tissue Lab
- READY FOR JABBING | Almost 100% of 2,300 DCPO members willing to be vaccinated
- Over 500,000 identified for the vaccination priority list
- PARADIGM SHIFT | Why Is the Organization of Islamic Cooperation Silent on China’s Treatment of Uyghur Muslims When the United States Alleges Genocide?
- PNIA primed to boost nickel sector
- Choice Mart is now on foodpanda
- Public urged: Watch out for entities using games, franchise programs
- BDO offers QR Code withdrawals from select ATMs
- Your next best roommate could be a plant