A 74-year-old civilian was killed in the Saturday encounter between soldiers of the 28th Infantry Battalion and members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Sitio Kinawasan, Barangay San Isidro, Lupon, Davao Oriental.
The encounter also resulted in the death of a rebel and the injury of three soldiers.
Lt. Col. Miguel Ramon, 28th IB commander, blamed the rebels for the death of Vevincio Capuyan.
According to the report, the victim was hit on the left side of his body.
It was believed that he was hit by a bullet coming from the rebels who occupied a vantage position as they fired upon the approaching government troopers.
The victim’s house was situated in the area between the positions of the soldiers and the rebels.
“This is very unfortunate and we join the family for the calling for justice for their love one,” Ramon said.
In a statement, the Capuyan family condemned Vevincio’s death.
Vevincio’s brothers Nomelito and Islao assailed the rebels for the incident.
Ramon said the local governments of Lupon and Davao Oriental already assisted the family of the victim.
On Saturday, a platoon of 2nd Scout Ranger Battalion led by 1Lt. Amruding Abdul Jabar was conducting a military operation when they encountered an undetermined number of rebels in Purok Kinawasan at 3:24 p.m.
The gunfight resulted in the death of one rebel and the injury of three soldiers.
The wounded soldiers already underwent medical treatment. The body of slain rebel was turned over to the barangay.
Military recovered two improvised explosive devices and other personal belongings from the rebels.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission