The military questioned the control of the Communist Party of the Philippines leadership over its force as New People’s Army rebels reportedly continue to engage military camps.
Both panels of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front are fighting to beat the 60-day deadline set by President Duterte to get the peace talks going or face cancellation.
Capt. Francisco P. Garello Jr, the civil military operations officer of 36th Infantry Battalion, claimed that more or less three armed men, believed to be members of SPP3, Guerrilla Front 30, Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee under alias Nicko attacked their headquarters in Sitio Upper Mambago, Barangay Dayo-an,Tago, Surigao del Sur on May 24 around 8:50 p.m.
Garello said rebels attempted to surprise the soldiers when they fired one rifle grenade followed by intermittent shots that lasted for 15 seconds.
However, he said the troops repelled the attack as they fired back and forced the rebels to scamper away. Reports claimed that they boarded habal-habal motorcycles going to Barangay San Isidro in Tandag City.
Lt. Col. Xerxes A. Trinidad, commanding officer of the 36th IB, ordered the deployment of troops to chase the rebels and clear the area.
Recovered from the position of the NPAs were empty shells and unexploded ordnance (UXO) of M-14, AK-47 and M-16 rifles, one safety pin, and shrapnel of one rifle grenade.
“The bravado of (NPAs) intends to show their true nature of insincerity on the resumption of peace talks,” Trinidad said. “The NPA had continuously instigated atrocities not only against military targets but also against innocent civilians.”
But he gave assurance to Surigaonons that the military is already ready to protect them from the NPA. He said they will pursue the rebels “and bring them in a situation where their only choice is to surrender.”
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success