An official of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) was indicted by the Office of the Ombudsman for reportedly giving an undue benefit to her husband in a government-sponsored event.
Charlita Escaño, Director IV, of the Office of Finance and Administrative Services of MinDA in Davao City, was sued for violation of Sec. 3(e) of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act (Republic Act No. 3019).
Investigation of the Ombudsman showed that Escaño allowed her husband, Engr. Allan Escaño, a non-MinDA employee, to participate in the “Basic Occupational Safety and Health Course for Construction Officers” held at the Ritz Hotel in Davao City last March 16-20, 2015.
Records revealed that MinDA paid P30,000 registration fee for five participants but only four employees attended with Engr. Allan Escaño, a private individual, replacing Engr. Renato Buhat, Jr. who was unavailable to attend the seminar.
In her defense, respondent claimed that she was informed that a refund wasn’t allowed for any canceled attendance and, as replacement for Engr. Buhat, she invited her husband to attend the seminar and the organizers allowed it.
However, in a resolution approved by Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, it was determined that “respondent gave unwarranted benefit, advantage or preference to her husband, Engr. Escaño, by causing his inclusion in the training in lieu of Engr. Buhat for which MinDA already paid the registration fee.”
Under Sec. 3(e) of R.A. No. 3019, it shall be unlawful to, among others, give any private party any unwarranted benefits, advantage or preference in the discharge of official administrative functions through manifest partiality, evident bad faith or gross inexcusable negligence.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission