A police officer assigned to Davao Oriental Police Provincial Office was shot to death by unidentified gunmen around 7:30 p.m. in Dahican, Mati City on Monday, May 21.
In a separate incident, a retired PNP member was also shot to death in Sta. Maria, Davao Occidental.
Chief Insp. Milgrace Driz, spokesperson of Police Regional Office (PRO) XI, identified the victim as PO3 Walter Canja, assigned to the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company.
Initial investigation revealed that the victim was driving a Navara Calibre pick-up at the Poblacion public market when one Mio motorcycle overtook his vehicle while the passenger shot him several times. The perpetrators fled toward an unknown direction.
Driz said the incident happened around 7:30 p.m. of May 21 in Purok Trabahador Menzi, Barangay Dahican, Mati City.
She said the police are still trying to establish the motive for the killing, as well as identity of the perpetrators.
Earlier on the same day, Epifanio Noveno Comabig, 64, a retired PNP member was also shot to death in Sitio Dagandang, Barangay Tanglad, Sta. Maria, Davao Occidental around 11:10 a.m.
The victim was on board a single motorcycle in Sitio Dagandang, Barangay Tanglad when two men wearing bonnets flagged down the vehicle shot him on the different parts of the body.
The gunmen fled after the incident.
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year