A member of the New People’s Army surrendered to the 30th Infantry Battalion (30th IB) in Barangay Sta Cruz, Placer, Surigao del Norte on Saturday.
1Lt. Tere Ingente, spokesperson of 4th Infantry Division, identified the surrenderee as alias Bong or Hyson, 24, a resident of Sitio Brazil, Barangay Mat-i, Surigao City.
Ingente said he brought along his AK-47 rifle with three magazines loaded with 81 bullets.
Bong was a member of Guerrilla Front Committee 16B (GFC16B), Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee, operating in the municipalities of San Francisco, Malimono, Mainit and Surigao City, all of Surigao del Norte.
“I can no longer take the hardship I experienced in the life of being a member of the NPA. The hunger and desire to be with my family are the reasons why I decided to surrender,” Sumalinog allegedly told the soldiers.
He further revealed that several NPA members are having second thoughts in continuing the armed struggle because of same difficulties.
Lt. Col. Allen Raymund Tomas, commanding officer of the 30th IB called on the leadership of the GFC16B to give medical attention to their wounded comrades from the encounter last May 5.
“The wounded NPAs have a right to be treated in a proper medical facility. The leadership of Guerrilla Front 16B should not let their wounded comrades be treated with their self-trained medical person in the mountains.” Tomas said.
The Comprehensive Local Integration Program (CLIP) states a former rebel can avail of the P15,000 immediate cash assistance and P50,000 livelihood assistance when they surrender.
In addition, the surrendered firearms has equivalent amount of money depending on the serviceability and caliber of the firearm.
“To all active NPA members, I know that you want to go back to your families and live a normal life, it is not too late to abandon the CPP-NPA’s failed ideology. We will be assisting you in your application to the CLIP for you to start a life with your family,” Maj. Gen. Ronald Villanueva, commander of 4th Infantry Division, said.
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year