A member of the New People’s Army surrendered to the 30th Infantry Battalion (30th IB) in Barangay Sta Cruz, Placer, Surigao del Norte on Saturday.
1Lt. Tere Ingente, spokesperson of 4th Infantry Division, identified the surrenderee as alias Bong or Hyson, 24, a resident of Sitio Brazil, Barangay Mat-i, Surigao City.
Ingente said he brought along his AK-47 rifle with three magazines loaded with 81 bullets.
Bong was a member of Guerrilla Front Committee 16B (GFC16B), Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee, operating in the municipalities of San Francisco, Malimono, Mainit and Surigao City, all of Surigao del Norte.
“I can no longer take the hardship I experienced in the life of being a member of the NPA. The hunger and desire to be with my family are the reasons why I decided to surrender,” Sumalinog allegedly told the soldiers.
He further revealed that several NPA members are having second thoughts in continuing the armed struggle because of same difficulties.
Lt. Col. Allen Raymund Tomas, commanding officer of the 30th IB called on the leadership of the GFC16B to give medical attention to their wounded comrades from the encounter last May 5.
“The wounded NPAs have a right to be treated in a proper medical facility. The leadership of Guerrilla Front 16B should not let their wounded comrades be treated with their self-trained medical person in the mountains.” Tomas said.
The Comprehensive Local Integration Program (CLIP) states a former rebel can avail of the P15,000 immediate cash assistance and P50,000 livelihood assistance when they surrender.
In addition, the surrendered firearms has equivalent amount of money depending on the serviceability and caliber of the firearm.
“To all active NPA members, I know that you want to go back to your families and live a normal life, it is not too late to abandon the CPP-NPA’s failed ideology. We will be assisting you in your application to the CLIP for you to start a life with your family,” Maj. Gen. Ronald Villanueva, commander of 4th Infantry Division, said.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market