A group of persons with disability has requested Acting Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte to investigate the City Engineer’s Office concerning the implementation of the Batas Pambansa 344 or the Accessibility Law in the City.
In a letter, Association of Differently-Abled Persons (ADAP) chair Redendo Martinez said they have observed that the CEO has been issuing Certificate of Occupancy and Building Permit to establishments not designed to be accessible to the PWDs.
“The Persons with Disability sector considers this violation as a continuing crime,” Martinez said in his letter.
“If not be addressed upon, it will hamper the integration and inclusiveness of the sector in the mainstream of society as a matter of state policy,” he added.
Martinez said they are ready to present evidence should a forum will be called.
“We have observed that while there are ramps, most do not fit with the standards provided in the BP 344. Some are just too steep,”
Martinez said some restrooms are also “not designed for accessibility,”
BP 344 is the act to enhance the mobility of disabled persons by requiring certain buildings, institutions, establishments and public utilities to install facilities and other devices.
“The issue of accessibility is not exclusive for PWD sector alone, this includes also the sector of Senior Citizens which has mobility limitations, as well as the pregnant women,” he also said.
The City Council, which the vice mayor leads, has taken consideration on the issue.
Last Tuesday, the councilors endorsed to the concerned committees the request as they passed on first reading the measure.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success